Saturday, August 22, 2026

 I just acquired that following photograph. On the left-hand edge of my scan there is a date of 10/11/1926. On the back of the photograph, written in pencil (which usually indicates someone is familiar with archival/photo preservation standards) the following:


"United States Military Rail Roads [sic, note it is Rail Roads and NOT
      Railroads]
Col. Holabird
Built by USQMD [indicating it was built by the United States
      Quartermaster Department]
Algiers, LA
1865"

I love the details in this image. Note that the rail is the old pear shaped/brown rail. There are NO tie plates, and the rails are attached to the ties with a single spike on the inside and a single spike on the outside. The artistry on that passenger coach is marvelous! Makes me wish I had a laser cutter and the knowledge & skill to use it. Look at that switch stand too.

Click on the image to enlarge this jpeg copy. I tried to upload the tiff copy I processed as the detail is even more discernable, but the file size is too large for this humble blog.

Thought I should go ahead and scan the back of the photograph as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment